Updated: Nov 21
A developer has lodged an appeal against a decision to reject its plan to build more than 230 homes and a hotel with 103 rooms in St Helier.
Le Masurier was planning to redevelop more than two acres of land between Broad Street and Commercial Street. Assistant Environment Minister Hilary Jeune rejected the scheme for exceeding height range guidance.
Le Masurier said its Les Sablons scheme was "worth fighting for".
In the refusal letter, Deputy Jeune said the plans would be "overbearing and oppressive and of detriment to the amenity and character of the street".
But Le Masurier said the government-appointed independent inspector had recommended the £120m scheme for approval. This had been overruled by the assistant minister and the case refused, it said.
Brian McCarthy, managing director of Le Masurier, said support from industry, professional bodies, local businesses and the public had driven the decision to appeal in the Royal Court.
He said: "We believe that this scheme is worth fighting for, as it would deliver the opportunity for the substantial regeneration of over 2.5 acres of the centre of town.
"Taking an appeal to the Royal Court is the only option available to us, and one that we had initially decided not to pursue." But he said they believed they had a "strong case".
He said the scheme, if approved, would contribute to the island's "chronic housing shortfall" and deliver 150 full-time jobs. A new aparthotel through Staycity, meanwhile, would "boost tourism", Mr McCarthy said, while providing a courtyard garden linking King Street to the bus station "at no cost to the taxpayer".